Two vacancies; full-time
Contract period: One year with the possibility of renewal
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Engineering & Construction, is currently accepting applications for two long-term contractual Carpenter Trim positions. Employees will work statewide with DNR's In-House Construction unit based out of Fair Hill NRMA, Cecil County, MD. Work consists of new construction, building maintenance and repair, major maintenance and historic restoration on state-wide DNR facilities. Some work projects will require employees to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Education: Completion of the eighth grade.
Experience: Five years of experience in general carpentry, two years of which must have been in finish or trim carpentry work or in cabinetmaking.
1. Applicants may substitute additional carpentry experience at a rate of one year of experience for two years of education for up to four years of the required education.
2. Graduation from an accredited vocational or technical high school with a concentration in carpentry may be substituted for three years of the required experience.
3. Graduation from a vocational or technical trade school with a concentration in carpentry may be substituted for up to three years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in builder classifications or construction and engineering specialty codes in the carpentry field of work, on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
Desired or Preferred Qualifications
- A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) valid in the state of Maryland is preferred.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment, and report all experience and education related to this position. Verifiable volunteer experience will be considered; please include it on your application, if applicable. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will proceed to the next phase of evaluation.
You will be required to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program (the Program), have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a temporary/contractual employee who works an average of at least 12 hours per week. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
Click the link to apply.
Closing date 2/15/19.
Location/Region: Cecil County, Maryland